May 31, 2007 8:07 am by Chris | 27 comments
If you are having problems installing Writer, Messenger 8.5 or Mail, in particular if the the Windows Live installer disappearing halfway through (after a Windows Vista UAC prompt if enabled), this may help.
- Close all Windows Live applications
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Live and delete the Installer folder
- Navigate to C:\ProgramData and delete both Windows Live Installer and WLInstaller directories if you have them.
- Reboot (important!)
- Reinstall the application you want to install
This may be an issue if you installed the leak Messenger build, as all Windows Live beta applications need to be the same language. See the Windows Live Installer FAQs for more details.
PS: If someone can tell me what the equivalent for step 3 is in Windows XP that’d be great :)
Update: Apparently step 3 for XP is to go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data instead of C:\ProgramData. (Thanks to DN2004 for the heads up)
Update2: There is now a more official solution to this problem. See our follow post.
Update3: there is also another fix (Thanks MeggarK) which runs as follows:
- Download and run the Windows Live Installer Cleanup tool from:
- Click START>Run and type ‘command’ to load the console.
- Type in:
and press enter.
- Type exit to leave the console
- Download and run the windows live installer, it should now work perfectly.