Steve Clayton rightly points out that Live Mesh got an update during the night, which I’ve seen on my three PCs that are in my own Mesh. At the moment there is no official changelog of what’s been updated, but one thing I have noticed is that if you’re using Vista, you no longer have to have UAC turned on, which is great news for a lot of users.
There’s nothing in the Live Mesh Forums at the moment about what else has changed, but as soon as we know, we’ll post it up here. In the meantime, enjoy being UAC free again
Update: I knew I had read about this somewhere, but couldn’t remember where. This announcement was made in the Live Mesh Forum last week which I then read on a twitter update (which is probably why I checked this in the first place). So thanks JamieT for the heads up (even if we forgot about it to start off with )
Update 2: Nadia has just posted on the Live Mesh Forums about what bug fixes have gone through with the recent update. From the forum:
The Live Mesh team has been working hard to fix bugs reported by our Tech Preview users and to address top requested features (such as removing the requirement that UAC be enabled in Windows Vista). Below is a list of the most prominent fixes implemented in the latest Live Mesh release. Thank you for all your great feedback!
· Live Mesh is now available in all English-speaking countries (not just the U.S.)
· Index for Desktop Search now works with Live Mesh folders
· Removed the User Account Control (UAC) requirement when installing and using Live Mesh with Windows Vista SP1
· Fixed bug where an underscore in a Hotmail account name returned an “Invalid Hotmail Address” error
· Fixed bug with Silverlight 2 Beta 2 failing to load in Silverlight Media View
· Fixed bug where the notifier tooltip incorrectly indicated that Live Mesh Remote Desktop was unavailable for a computer running in non-admin mode
· Fixed bug where the Live Mesh folder icon was not displayed in the e-mail inviting someone to share a folder
· Fixed one of the bugs that caused Live Mesh to fail to start
· Fixed problem with Live Mesh returning errors when waking from sleep/hibernate
Kudos to the team for these fixes, I see the two main popular ones will be the removal of UAC and the English speaking countries (not just en-US).