If you live in the US or the UK then you can SMS to see and update your information on Windows Live. No need for a mobile browser or data plan! The SMS feature was announced in November already but it’s here now, finally.
To use these services, you’ll first have to register your mobile number with Windows Live. Once you’ve done that you can:
- Update your personal message
Command: update followed by your personal message
- Check your Windows Live Calendar
Command: today or tomorrow
- Invite people to join your network
Command: invite followed by their email address
- Get contact info for people in your Windows Live contact list
Command: srch followed by the name of the person you’re looking for
just by sending an SMS with a command to the shortcode:
- If you’re in the US and your mobile operator is AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, or Nextel, your shortcode is MyLive or 695483.
- If you’re in the UK and your mobile operator is Vodafone, Orange, T-Mobile, O2, or Virgin, your shortcode is 88804.
Standard SMS messaging costs apply in both the US and UK, there is no additional charge from Microsoft for the use of this service. More detailed information about how to register and the usage of these commands can be found in this post on the Windows Live Team Blog.
It is not known when SMS for Windows Live will be available outside the US or the UK at this time.