Been asking a few question from our Twitter account about IE9, as with one dead laptop battery, spotty hotel internet (we’re at Starbucks now), and holding some great conversations with Softies and others on IE, Windows Phone 7, San Francisco, and more, it’s always hard to get a full post in.
But ask we did, and after getting a bunch of responses to “have you installed?” (of course!), we asked “Anything really bother you about #IE9?”. The results were many and varied, so we thought we would share some of them here:
- So far just that its only supported on Vista and 7.
- tabs are too big when you drag them (cmpr to chrome). Tab/add bar size should be proportionate when window is resized.
- I really miss a "drag a text" functionality to search or open it in new tab if URL. Also remembering opened tabs on close.
- i’ve installed but the rendering of facebook "news" isn’t clear…
- Yeah, Just seeing this wasted screen estate bothers me. Its sheer stupidity!
- the tab bars right next to the search bar and the "incomplete" back button… So far
- Only thought: How much of the web will look screwy on IE9 due to all the code-mods made for IE6/7/8 and misidentification
- Text box typing in is very slow..
- memory sometimes buggy but it’s a beta still kick 6
- well, there are bugs, but I like the feel of it. spare with allowances for customization like my Fav bar.
- Fonts rendering still aren’t sexy as much as Apple Safari. Not anti-aliased.
- Nothing is perfect, but really happy to be back on IE.
- After all these years, still no spell check in text fields
We’re still learning our way around, muscle memory is making it hard to get used to the Favorites “star” on the right, and for some things the UI seems a bit too clean – we were told how to get the list of viewed pages available in the Back button (you hold the Back button down), but still haven’t found how to open a single home page tab (we have multiple home pages, and in IE8 you could open a single one by dropping down a list – it may still be there, we just haven’t found it).
What are your annoyances about IE9, after having a full 24 hours to play? And what do you like the most?