Dec 15, 2010 12:24 pm by Sunshine | 7 comments
Unfortunately we are unable to attend the Bing Search Summit in San Francisco, but that doesn’t stop us from bringing you the news! Today at that Summit new features were revealed, and released!
These features are:
- Mobile: The updated Bing for Mobile app on iPhone and Android delivers new mobile-friendly features, including integration of OpenTable and Grubhub. Now when you search for and find your restaurant of choice, using terms such as “California Pizza Kitchen” or “Chinese,” you can reserve a table on OpenTable or order takeout from Grubhub without leaving the Bing for Mobile app. Additionally, Bing for Mobile will begin offering street-level imagery, “check-in” functionality and real-time public transit info, providing a more comprehensive mobile search experience.
- Local: In addition to making reservations and ordering takeout through OpenTable and GrubHub, desktop users will be able to virtually “walk inside” restaurants and venues using 360-degree panoramic views. These interior views will begin rolling out in the coming weeks and months.
- Events: Through integration with FanSnap, people will soon be able to purchase tickets to concerts and sporting events directly through the event details page in Bing.
- Social: Expanding on the exclusive partnership with Facebook, Bing will now show which links on the search results page have been “liked” by a person’s Facebook friends. Whether you’re choosing a vacation destination, picking a movie to watch, or searching for laptop reviews, Bing incorporates information from your social network to help you choose the best answer to your query.
- User Experience: Bing’s new image search organizes images in a more intuitive way and provides additional categories based on your search. Bing is also rolling out richer instant answers across entertainment verticals including music, movies, TV and Games.
More information about these features can be found in the blog posts linked to above. Additionally, you can find a blog post by Bing Senior VP Satya Nadella here, outlining Bing’s progress over the past several months.
Disclaimer: Mentioned features may or may not be released in your market.