Experian: Bing increases 5% in December: is Google feeling some heat?

By Kip Kniskern | Posted January 13, 2011 17 comments

david-and-goliath1Last fall Google CEO  Eric Schmidt admitted that “our biggest competitor is Bing”, and with the Bing/Yahoo! search alliance firmly in place, numbers for Bing are increasing, or “growing like a weed”, as Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said in a video piece at CES with CNBC’s Maria Bartiromo.

The latest Experian Hitwise numbers, released yesterday, are showing continued increases for Bing, and continued stagnation for Google:

hitwise-pr-pcntge-us-srches-lding-srch-engines-450x196

But in what seems to be a growing trend as well, Google has been taking some heat lately for the number of spam results in its search results.  Recent articles from Search Engine Land, and TechCrunch have taken Google to task, and Anil Dash recently portrayed a trio of search quality related Google web posts, all seemingly started by Jeff Atwood’s Trouble in the House of Google.

The Hitwise December numbers also point out Bing’s strong advantage in “success rates”, or the percentage of time a search results in a visit to a website:

hitwise-success-rate-leading-srch-engines-450x137

Even while Bing suffers from some of the same spam corruption that Google does, its 81% success rate is much higher than Googles, at about 65%.

Peter Yared in VentureBeat’s MediaBeat notes that Google is working to solve the problem – by increasingly relying on “instant answer” type results:

Over the past couple of years, Google has progressively added vertical search results above its regular results. When you search for the weather, businesses, stock quotes, popular videos, music, addresses, airplane flight status, and more, the search results of what you are looking for are  presented immediately. The vast majority of users are no longer clicking through pages of Google results: They are instantly getting an answer to their question

Of course this is an area that Bing has invested heavily in, building not only instant answers, but in some cases full pages for entertainment related search queries, offering up song snippets, videos, lyrics, and more all from a single page.

Google is also beginning to have to deal with some very Microsoft-ish problems, too:  as a number of anti-trust inquiries are surfacing, from both the US and from the European Union.

So, are we seeing cracks in the armor?  Or is this just a tech meme running its course?

Posted January 13th, 2011 at 11:37 am
Category: Bing
Tags: CES 2011, Google, US market share
  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000166557626 Russell Eby

    While I do use Bing on my computers (only person in my office that does), I find the headline a little misleading. 5% increase? I understand that 10.1 vs 10.6 is a 5% growth month to month. Since most people measure the total amounts, the headline makes you think they jumped from 10% to 15%. This is why just reading the headlines doesn’t give you a true view of the news.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000166557626 Russell Eby

    While I do use Bing on my computers (only person in my office that does), I find the headline a little misleading. 5% increase? I understand that 10.1 vs 10.6 is a 5% growth month to month. Since most people measure the total amounts, the headline makes you think they jumped from 10% to 15%. This is why just reading the headlines doesn’t give you a true view of the news.

  • Aa

    I think it is a typo, since it is 0.5% not 5%. The increase for Bing Engine itself is 2.25% growth and Bing .Com is 5% growth. Anyway, not a dramatic jump, but, I am glad people are willing to give Bing a try. There are so many Google fanboys out there, it is hard to push Bing.

  • Aa

    I think it is a typo, since it is 0.5% not 5%. The increase for Bing Engine itself is 2.25% growth and Bing .Com is 5% growth. Anyway, not a dramatic jump, but, I am glad people are willing to give Bing a try. There are so many Google fanboys out there, it is hard to push Bing.

  • Aa

    I think it is a typo, since it is 0.5% not 5%. The increase for Bing Engine itself is 2.25% growth and Bing .Com is 5% growth. Anyway, not a dramatic jump, but, I am glad people are willing to give Bing a try. There are so many Google fanboys out there, it is hard to push Bing.

  • Anonymous

    @Russel – percent increase is always a measure against the original non-percent value, which in this case measures in “points.” These happen to be mapped directly to “percent” of total searches such that one point is one “percent,” but it is important to distinguish that a point increase is an absolute increase, wherease a percent increase is a relative increase.

  • lokitoth

    @Russel – percent increase is always a measure against the original non-percent value, which in this case measures in “points.” These happen to be mapped directly to “percent” of total searches such that one point is one “percent,” but it is important to distinguish that a point increase is an absolute increase, wherease a percent increase is a relative increase.

  • JohnCz

    Yeah cracks…but we’re still a ways from it impacting Google much. Probably 5-10 total share points away. Disclosure, I’m pro Bing.

  • JohnCz

    Yeah cracks…but we’re still a ways from it impacting Google much. Probably 5-10 total share points away. Disclosure, I’m pro Bing.

  • Spyder_43

    Bing FTW! Switched to Bing last year have not looked back. I hear people say that Google is better because of this and that but I do alot of daily searches and always find what I need.

  • Spyder_43

    Bing FTW! Switched to Bing last year have not looked back. I hear people say that Google is better because of this and that but I do alot of daily searches and always find what I need.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Pradyuman-Vig/100001076901964 Pradyuman Vig

    Bing is just amazing…

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Pradyuman-Vig/100001076901964 Pradyuman Vig

    Bing is just amazing…

  • http://twitter.com/joslat Jose Luis Latorre

    Bing is doing it very well and Google is copying Bing in some aspects – as with the image search, Bing implemented than when you scroll down paging happens, making it easier… some weeks later, Google copied this… and many other things too..

    So now, I guess who is the “bad guy” and who is breaking his “don’t be evil” motto..

    Anyway it’s great we have competition and at least our data will not be in the hands of one “big brother”!!

    • Anonymous

      Why is picking up great features “being evil?” If Google does not innovate on their own, eventually they will fall behind. If both sides are innovating, then the users win when both sides adopt what works. As long as each keeps their personality, I would rather read this as the highest compliment Google can pay Microsoft’s Online Division.

  • http://twitter.com/joslat Jose Luis Latorre

    Bing is doing it very well and Google is copying Bing in some aspects – as with the image search, Bing implemented than when you scroll down paging happens, making it easier… some weeks later, Google copied this… and many other things too..

    So now, I guess who is the “bad guy” and who is breaking his “don’t be evil” motto..

    Anyway it’s great we have competition and at least our data will not be in the hands of one “big brother”!!

    • lokitoth

      Why is picking up great features “being evil?” If Google does not innovate on their own, eventually they will fall behind. If both sides are innovating, then the users win when both sides adopt what works. As long as each keeps their personality, I would rather read this as the highest compliment Google can pay Microsoft’s Online Division.