Last week at the Mobile World Congress, Microsoft Corporate Vice President Joe Belfiore announced that Facebook Messenger for Windows Phone would be available soon, and sure enough, it’s available now through the Windows Phone Store. Facebook Messenger has been available on iOS and Android for some time, and now you can get it on your Windows Phone.
Facebook recently killed a standalone Facebook Messenger client for Windows, alerting users that it would no longer work after March 3rd (yesterday), although communicating with Facebook users is available through the old Windows Live Messenger, or Skype, or Skype for Outlook.com.
The new Windows Phone Facebook Messenger app includes the features you’d expect, according to the download page:
– Get to all your messages without having to open Facebook.
- Bring your conversations to life with stickers and send photos privately.
- Have group conversations and make plans on the go.
- Share your location so people know when you’re nearby.
- Know when people have seen your messages.
- See who’s using Messenger and who’s active on Facebook.
- Stay logged in so you never miss a message.
- Turn off notifications when you’re working, sleeping or just need a break.
- Never lose your conversation history or contacts.
The 4MB download is available for Windows Phone 8 devices.