Following the release of Windows Live Messenger for iOS back in June, three months later and Microsoft had just announced on the Inside Windows Live team blog the first upgrade to Windows Live Messenger for iOS app – version 1.1. Of all the changes and improvements, first and foremost is the added support for Facebook Chat, joining the Messenger 2011 client as well as the recently discovered functionality on the Windows Live Web Messenger. Of course, this is still currently limited to the 6 countries (US, UK, France, Brazil, Germany, and Russia) that can have it enabled, but you can always change your Windows Live ID locale to one of the 6 countries to enable it via http://profile.live.com/Services.
In addition, Microsoft had made several improvements to the Messenger for iOS app based on customer feedback (including all of you who had left comments on LiveSide!), and these updates include:
- Faster access to change your status and sign-out – there is now a button on the top-right corner of the Friends tab to quickly access the status menu:
- Friends list filters – you can now filter your contact list by categories, or show your favourite contacts only:
- Hide offline contacts in Settings – hidden under the iOS’s settings menu, you can configure the Messenger app to display online contacts only (applies to “all” category only):
- Support for iOS 4 fast-switching
- Additional languages support – 31 in total including Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese
You can get it now via the iTunes App Store.